Sunday 27 December 2009

Book Review: Evermore by Alyson Noel


I really did enjoy this book. Ever Bloom has survived a car accident that kills her whole family, including the dog and she is the only surviving member. When she awakes she is able to read peoples minds, know their entire life story, see their auras and not only that but her younger sister, Riley, who was killed in the accident is still very much around. Enter Damen, a drop-dead-gorgeous boy who joins her new school (after she is whisked off to live with her Aunty in California) who starts leaving her red tulips everywhere and confesses that he is an "immortal".
When I first opened it I was determined not to make the obvious Twilight comparissons but I'm afraid that they just leaped off the page at me and I feel unable to avoid them: High school students, a girl with hardly any friends and wanting to be left alone, mysterious and gorgeous boy who can move at the speed of light, knows his school-work off by heart without even doing homework etc and never eats anything. That said, that's where the comparissons end. The love story between Ever and Damen isn't even close to that of Bella and Edward. There was no real "falling in love" or the romance of Twilight. In fact, some of the narrative felt very clumsy and verged on ridiculous. That said, I still couldn't put it down. I read it in less than a day and was glued to the pages. Ever's sister, Riley, was a wonderful character and gave some great light relief. It says in the author interview at the end of the book that Riley is to get her own series soon - I shall be looking out for that, as I will the next 5 books in this series.

The next book in the series is Blue Moon and I have a copy that I managed to get in New York last month, although it isn't out in the UK until 5th March 2010. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment