Sunday 27 December 2009

Book Review: Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Love, love, loved it!!! I read Hush Hush in less than a day; I could not put it down. Infact I was up at 2am this morning with my eye-sockets sagging half way down my cheeks ‘cos I just had to keep reading the damn thing!

The story starts in France in 1565, when a fallen angel appears to a boy in a remote field and tells him that he has a job for him to do and an oath to swear. Flashforward several hundred years and Nora Grey is a sixteen year old student in Maine, with little interest in boys until Patch turns up in her Biology class, as a lab partner, seemingly hell-bent on making her life a misery with his arrogant, uncommunicative ways. Everywhere she turns, there he is, and trouble seems to follow him around. Nora soon finds herself in the middle of something that she can’t explain but she doesn’t know who to trust.

The book has a great setting: eery fog, desolate roads and rainswept coastal towns. It’s dark yet vibrant and pacy at the same time. The characters were great; I especially loved Nora’s best friend, Vee. Her humour alone could have sold the book to me.

I really enjoyed this book; I almost turned into a prune in the bath when reading it because I couldn’t bear to put it down to even climb out. The second in the series, Crescendo, will be out later in 2010. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment